About: Si-Je Fiona
Martial Arts Experience:
I started training in 2011 at Chi Wai Kung Fu with my son as he was looking for something to help increase his confidence and he convinced me to take it up with him. I haven’t looked back since.
I have previously trained in Tae Kwon Do and Bujinkan Ninjutsu but I now focus on Kung Fu, Dacayana Eskrima, Jeet Kune Do and Kyusho jitsu.
What I love about the academy is that Sifu Lee is always striving for continuous improvement and looking for the most effective way to help students at all levels to be engaged in learning and developing their skills. At Chi Wai, there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach, which is great as everyone learns and moves differently. The academy is like an extended family where everyone genuinely cares about each other’s welfare and success.
I spent five years working through the SWAT and Leadership programme and I was honoured to be made an instructor in February 2019. I have found it immensely rewarding and, through teaching, I am learning something new every day.
Martial Arts Ambition:
To be a positive role model especially to women and girls of all ages and to help them feel empowered, safe, confident and develop mental fortitude and resilience.
To continue to develop my own skills while helping students fulfil their own potential and reach 1st Degree black belt and beyond.
To aid with the successful growth and development of the academy.
Preferred Technique: Sticking hands
Sticking hands is a great technique for working on technique over force, and training in balance and timing. When you have contact with your hands or arms, eventually the rest of your body learns to read small movements from your opponent telling you their balance, position, intentions and prepares you to respond. Through sticking hand practice, you learn effective transitions, adjustments and control as muscle reflexes are much faster than the eye, especially at close range.
- Training with Chi Wai Academy since 2011
- 2nd Degree Black Belt in Chi Wai Kung Fu
- Se-Ji Instructor
- 2nd Degree Black Belt in Dacayana Eskrima
- Brown Belt in Kyusho Jitsu (Pressure Point Fighting)
- Level 1 Instructor in Kyusho Jitsu (Pressure Point Fighting)
- Bsc in Sport & Health Science
- Boxercise Instructor
- Level 2 Gymnasium Instructor
- Level 3 Advanced Fitness Instructor
- Cooper Institute Certification in Circuit Training Kinesiology & Nutrition
- First Aid ‘Appointed Person’
- Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Certified (formerly CRB)
- Safeguarding – Introduction into safety in clubs Level 2
- Child protection in Sport & Active Leisure – Level 2
- Concussion Awareness – Level 2
- Mental Wellbeing in Sport & Physical Activity – Level 2
- Preventing Bullying in Sport – Level 2
- Safeguarding in Sport – Level 2
- Child Sex Exploitation in sport – Level 2